Nothing catches the eye better than glitter. The shiny sparkle can make anything more fun and enjoyable. Since glitter comes in so many color the options for it are endless. With a little bit of glue a few pots of glitter and some patience you can add a glittery highlight or an out and out glitter explosion to anything you own.
For all of these ideas the basic method for applying the glitter is the same. Once you have selected the object you want to make more fabulous, you are going to need some glue. You have a few options here for the type of glue you use depending on what you can find. Decoupage glue is ideal, modge podge – the glossy one works well and so does PVA.
First apply a layer of glue to a section of the item. Tip – it’s best not to do the whole item in one go because it will get messy and the end result won’t be as good.
Next sprinkle the glitter over the glue so it gives you a good covering, then shake off the excess. Tip – work over a clean piece of card so you can collect the excess glitter and reuse it.
Wait for it to dry. This is really important if you apply the next layer too soon you’ll end up with an uneven finish.
Repeat until you have the glitter coverage you crave, and then finish with one final layer of glue to seal you item and keep that glitter where it belongs.
Now that you have the technique here are some great ideas of how and where you can apply it.
- Glittery shoes! Think Dorothy’s red slippers, only with the twist of you. With heels you could cover the whole shoe for a stunning impact or you could just cover the heel for a pop of glitter, or even the sole for that surprise hint as you walk. You could even have the most fabulous pair of sneakers known to man.
- Glitter enhanced water jugs. If you keep a jug or bottle of water on the table, why not encourage everyone to hydrate by drawing their eyes to the water with some stylish glittery highlights.
- Add some drama to your make up table by adding a layer of glitter to the handles of your make up brushes or even your hair brush.
- Make super shiny jam jars to hold your candles. Candles are a great way to enhance your space so why not push the boat even further out and add a splash of glitter to the ambiance that way they look special even before you light the candles.
- Frames. If you have a picture that you really love why not give it a truly special frame. You could glitter the entire frame or perhaps just a word or a date, something to highlight this special image.