According to a study by Dr. Richard Rende, creative interaction between children and parents, such as that tied to DIY crafts has many benefits. These entail establishing a unique bonding experience and providing lasting cognitive benefits. Taking out time to be creative with your little ones is as important as your job. In fact, the survey revealed that over 90% of parents said that they would love to spend more time doing arts and crafts with their children. They just didn’t know how to take out the time!
To make your family weekends more fun and entertaining, we have compiled a list of some easy yet creative DIY crafts that you and your kids can try at home. Read on to learn some best DIY crafts for kids.
Four Best DIY Crafts for Kids | Step-By-Step Guide
Looking for some DIY crafts to experiment with your kids? Here are some of the best DIY crafts for kids that you can find online:
1. DIY Playdough
Playdough can keep you and your kids entertained all day long! There is something both educational and therapeutic about molding fresh dough into shapes. While playing around with the squidgy DIY craft, the muscles of your little ones will develop fine motor skills, control, and strength. With our easy-to-make at-home playdough recipe, there is no need to nip to shops to buy some. To make this DIY craft Play Dough, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 Tablespoon cream of tartar
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup of water
- Large saucepan
- Food coloring
Follow the below-mentioned steps to create home-made play dough with your kids:
- Step 1: Start by adding salt, flour, vegetable oil, and cream of tartar in a saucepan.
- Step 2: Now, take a cup of water and add a few drops of your favorite food coloring to it. Mix them up and add the mixture to the saucepan.
- Step 3: Stir the mixture over medium heat and keep on stirring until the dough mixture becomes sticky.
- Step 4: Once the batter takes the desired sticky state, turn off the stove and let it cool.
- Step 5: Remove the dough from the saucepan. Use your hands to knead it into a smooth ball of play dough and store it in a container. With this, your DIY craft playdough is ready. Squish it, roll it, or even cut it!
Test your child’s creative instincts by helping them create new things. For example magical wand, toys, galaxy, squash balls, and whatever else they can imagine!
2. DIY Lava Lamp
A lava lamp is an excellent sensory stimulus for your children. The creation of this DIY craft will do more than entertain your little ones. It will teach children about density and chemical reactions. Although it might sound difficult, making a DIY lava lamp is easier than you think. In order to make a glowing lava lamp, you will need the following basic household items:
- Food coloring
- Baking soda
- Small cup
- Vegetable oil
- 1-Liter bottle
Follow the following step-by-step guide to make your own DIY craft Lava Lamp:
- Step 1: Take a 1-Liter bottle and add 3 Tablespoons of baking soda into it.
- Step 2: Next, fill 2/3 of the bowl with vegetable oil and don’t mix it. While doing so, make sure that the vegetable oil rests at the top of the baking soda.
- Step 3: Take another small container and add three drops of food coloring and some vinegar. Mix it all up!
Pro Tip: Use different food colorings for every bottle. You can also mix two colors to create a new color, such as red and blue. If your child loves sparkle, add some glitter to the mixture.
- Step 4: Now take a 1-Liter empty container, add the food coloring and vinegar solution to it and wait for the magic to happen!
Sit back and observe the movement of colors with your child. If you want to achieve the famous DIY lava lamp glow, place a torch under it.
3. DIY Stickers
Whether kids or adults, everyone loves stickers! This is one of the most favorite DIY crafts for kids as it allows your little ones to create their own customized stickers. Using this DIY craft, you can turn your child’s favorite pictures and drawings into stickers. To make fun DIY craft stickers, you will need:
- Wax paper
- Clear parcel tape
- Coloring pens, pencils, or markers
Follow the below-mentioned steps to create the DIY craft:
- Step 1: Take a piece of paper and ask your child to draw their favorite things using coloring pencils and markers.
- Step 2: Once your kids have completed their artwork, use a scissor to cut out the around outline of the pictures. Teach your kids to cut safely as well.
- Step 3: Now, take a piece of wax paper and place some clear parcel tape over it.
- Step 4: Place the picture or image cutout on top of the clear parcel tape and top it using another piece of tape. Use your fingers to remove any creases and keep on pressing them until the tape is firmly stuck around the picture.
- Step 5: Lastly, use a scissor to cut around the sticker’s edges. While doing so, make sure to leave an edge of the sticky tape around the drawing as it keeps the sticker tap intact.
- Step 6: To use your personalized sticker, peel away the wax paper backing it. In case the wax paper doesn’t come off easily, use the back of the scissor to score it and then peel off the wax paper from the tear.
Allow your child’s imagination to run riot with this DIY craft! Use this technique to make DIY stickers with your child. If keeping the stickers in one place is a problem, take a full-scale wax paper and apply all stickers to it.
4. DIY Kitchen Set
Does your child love cooking? The DIY kitchen set is the perfect DIY craft for you. Children love pretending to be chefs. However, professional cooking sets can be costly. To make this DIY craft, all you need are the following art supplies:
- Black felt pen
- White card
- 2 lids of a plastic bottle
- 2 black paper plates
- 1 large cardboard shoebox (make sure it has a folding lid)
- PVA glue or strong glue
- Acrylic paints
To make a DIY kitchen set, follow these steps to the tee:
- Step 1: First of all, find a flat surface to work on your DIY craft. Now, gather all the art supplies you need to make the shoebox toy kitchen. Once you have everything in place, turn the shoebox upside down, fold its lid back on itself and glue it to the side of the shoebox.
- Step 2: Pick your favorite acrylic paint and apply it all over the shoebox. To create a spotless base, double coat the paint.
- Step 3: While the base of your kitchen set dries, take the two plastic bottle lids and paper plates and paint them black.
- Step 4: Once everything is dry, glue the paper plates on top of the shoebox to create the hot plates. Also, glue the plastic lids in place of the knobs.
- Step 5: To decorate your DIY craft, cut out a small rectangular card sheet and draw on the digital clock’s details using a black marker. Then, stick the digital clock on the backside of the stove.
This fun DIY craft process will leave you amazed. Let your kids paint the stove with their favorite colors. You can also create a silver-colored kitchen sink using the same steps!
Wrapping It Up!
The best DIY crafts for kids mentioned in this blog are more engaging than kids’ movies on Netflix and less messy than fun science experiments. These DIY crafts are easy-to-do and don’t require you to be an expert. So with the weekend just around the corner, try these best DIY crafts for kids to strengthen your bond and make memories for a lifetime!